What are Abrasion Resistant Floors?
Abrasion resistance is the ability of a surface to stand up to wear and tear caused by foot and mechanical traffic and mechanical equipment. Given time, all floors will experience wear – scuffing, scratching and rubbing away of the surface. Some surfaces hold up better against abrasion than others. There are tests to ensure your floor will meet abrasion resistance standards.
The American Society for Testing and Materials is an international technical, scientific and education organisation dedicated to the standardisation of specifications and methods testing. The standard test method for abrasion resistance (ASTM D-4060, CS-17) can be found at http://www.astm.org/Standards/D4060.htm.
Benefits of Abrasion-Resistant Floors
Floors in both industrial and commercial environments need to perform and last under abrasive conditions.
Benefit highlights include:
- Avoiding scuff and scratch marks that render a floor less attractive, especially in commercial environments and public spaces.
- Standing up to abrasion due to heavy equipment and forklift traffic in manufacturing environments.
- Saving time and money on floor repair or replacement due to a worn surface or unattractive look
Commmercial and industrial environments prefer abrasion resistent flooring.
Recommended industries include:
Stonhard follows the testing procedures administered by the American Society for Testing and Materials for Abrasion Resistance of Organic Coatings by the Taber Abraser. We use an actual representation of the floor as a test specimen, consisting of the resin and curing agent, as well as the aggregate material. This specimen is then tested in our state-of-the-art physical testing laboratory. The values we report are conservative. A company that claims to have abrasion-resistant flooring should offer testing credentials or offer to submit materials for independent laboratory analysis. Our team of Territory Managers will assist you in finding the best abrasion resistant floor for your environment.
Recommended products include:
- Stonshield - healthcare, retail environments, entertainment venues
- Stontec - education, retail, laboratories
- Stonpath TPS - outdoor walkways and entrances