What are Fire Resistant Floors and Walls?
Fire resistant flooring and wall systems include properties that are resistant to fire and will not structurally fail for a specified amount of time. These can be differentiated based on ASTM Methods.
Standard Tests for Fire-Resistance
ASTM E648 – This is the standard test method for critical radiant flux of floor covering systems using a radiant heat energy source. The critical radiant flux of the flooring is determined by igniting it to see how far the flame spreads prior to self-extinguishing. The higher the number, the better the fire resistance. A Class 1 fire rating requires the number to be greater than 0.45 W/cm2.
ASTM E662 – This is the standard test method for specific optical density of smoke generated by solid materials. The optical density is determined by the smoke generated when a sample is ignited. The lower the number, the better the fire resistance. Class 1 requires less than 450 Ds but can vary by local requirements for certain areas (means of egress, etc.)
ASTM E84 – This is the standard test method for surface burning characteristics of building materials. This tests the flame spread and optical density of smoke generated for building materials. Class 1 requires below 25 for flame spread and below 450 Ds for smoke generation.
Benefits of Fire-Resistant Floors and Walls
Fire resistant flooring and wall systems reduce the spread of flames and smoke in the event of a fire-related incident within a facility.
Benefit highlights include:
- Reducing the spread of flames and smoke throughout a facility or area
- Providing greater protection of people and property during a fire-related accident/incident
- Gaining peace of mind/security against careless actions (e.g. the discarding of lit cigarettes)
Nearly all industries benefit from the installation of fire resistant flooring. In fact, most facilities require it.
Recommended industries include:
- Pharmaceutical - research facilities, vivariums, laboratories
- Healthcare - hospitals, operating rooms, corridors
- Education - cafeterias, locker rooms, hallways, labs
- Office Buildings/Building Management - lobbies, corporate cafeterias, parking garages
- General Commercial - public spaces, entertainment venues, concourses
*All Stonhard floors and walls are fire resistant. The majority of Stonhard products qualify for a Class 1 rating. Our team of Territory Managers will assist you in finding the fire-resistant floor or wall system to meet your specific needs.
Recommended products include:
- Stonblend - pharmaceutical, healthcare, educational, laboratory, corporate
- Stongard - parking garages and mechanical equipment rooms
- Stonglaze - (for walls) hospitals, commercial/industrial kitchens, vivariums, research facilities
- Stonres - public spaces - museums, lobbies, arenas, also healthcare, education and retail
- Stontec - fast installation for new construction - healthcare, education, entertainment venues
This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibiltiy of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.